We support missionaries because we have a command to fulfill. We are commanded by our Lord Jesus Christ to make disciples throughout the world. We can do our part locally, but how can we help the global effort? We do so through supporting particular missionaries through prayer and finances. By doing so we partner with them in Gospel work. “Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers… For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth.” (3 John 5, 7–8, ESV)
Our missions support program at Faith Baptist Church is called “Faith Promise Giving”. It is a program that uses the same principles that Paul used when taking up a collection to support the poor saints in Jerusalem. We see this plan in action in 1Cor.16.1-4. Let’s look at some principles of this plan and apply them to our missions support.
1. “…as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do” – A multitude of churches are to take offerings to support missionaries. This allows churches the opportunity to partner with many missionaries around the world.
2. “On the first day of every week” – These offerings are set aside regularly. There is a plan to give. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
3. “each of you is to put something aside” – Participation is expected from every member of the church.
4. “as he may prosper” – Unlike the tithe which is 10% for everyone, this offering is to be in proportion to how the Lord has blessed you. Those who have been blessed with more finances are expected to give more.
5. “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart” (2Cor. 9.7) – Paul spoke of the offering he was taking in 2nd Corinthians as well. There we find that the amount to give is privately decided by each individual. You determine to give the amount you decide. This keeps the giver from being “reluctant” or from feeling forced to give (“under compulsion”). It also allows the giver to do so cheerfully, which is something God loves.
How much can you plan to give regularly to support missions?
You can partner in the Gospel with missionaries by regularly giving to our Faith Promise Missions program here at Faith Baptist Church.
Further reading: 1Cor.16.1-4; 2Cor. 9.1-15; 3John 1.5-8; Phil. 4.15-20
David Harris is the Senior Pastor at Faith Baptist Church. A former programmer, in his free time he enjoys spending time with his wife Kim and trying his hand at the illusive craft of smoking meat.